Well, we’ve made it. The season’s over. The calendar year’s winding down.
But there’s still mirth and merriment to be had, football fans. We can find it in this year’s crop of bowl games.
Think of bowl season as a very very very lengthy average college football week. A week that takes way longer than the average week.
Yes, that analogy is terrible because a week that lasts longer than a week is in fact not a week. BEAR WITH ME.
This sudden shift in college football goings-on demands a corresponding shift in this humble column’s formula.
So instead of sorting through the muck for just the jewels, we’re going to go through every single bowl game and recommend whether you should watch it or not. Super simple, right? And I’ll preview every game that’s watch-worthy.
Feel free to follow me on Twitter at @WatchingCFB, where you can read more riveting college football related nonsense like this. I’ll also be live-tweeting most of the good bowl games, if you’re into that.
The usual caveats apply: obviously watch your team’s bowl, and all times are in God’s Time Zone (CST).
- Bahamas Bowl (Buffalo vs. Charlotte, 1pm, ESPN)
- Frisco Bowl (Utah State vs. Kent State, 6:30p, ESPN2)
- The Boca Raton Bowl (SMU vs. FAU, 2:30p, ABC) marks the beginning of the tolerable group of bowl games, which are few and far between pre-Christmas, so treasure this one. SMU overachieved this year, buoyed by transfer QB Shane Buschele. Their opponents, the Owls, may have lost head coach Lane Kiffin to the siren song of Oxford, Mississippi. But all the measurables have this game as a pretty even matchup. FAU’s a tad better statistically, but Vegas likes the ’Stangs.
- The Las Vegas Bowl (Boise State vs. Washington, 6:30p, ABC) marks a fitting end to coaching legend Chris Petersen’s career, involving both teams that he most notably led to glory. The relevant stats have this as another close tilt, even though Washington’s been in a sizable funk lately.
- New Mexico Bowl (CMU vs. SDSU, 1p, ESPN)
- Cure Bowl (Liberty vs. Georgia Southern, 1:30p, CBSSN)
- Camellia Bowl (FIU vs. Arkansas State, 4:30p, ESPN)
- New Orleans Bowl (Appalachian State vs. UAB, 8p, ESPN)
- Gasparilla Bowl (UCF vs. Marshall, 1:30p, ESPN)
- Aloha, Christmas Eve! The Hawaii Bowl (BYU vs. Hawaii, 7p, ESPN) promises plenty of offensive excitement between punchy, jet-lagged Mormons and mistake-prone island dwellers called the Rainbow Warriors. I love college football so much sometimes.
- Independence Bowl (Louisiana Tech vs. Miami, 3p, ESPN)
- Quick Lane Bowl (Pitt vs. Eastern Michigan, 7p, ESPN)
That’s all for now! Next week I’ll be back with a more substantial slate, I promise. Until then, Merry Christmas and happy watching!