Scanning through Netflix the other night, I stumbled across
a series called “Santa Clarita Diet.” The best I can tell, it’s a show about
cannibal zombies staring Drew Barrymore. But that’s beside the point. The name
of the show triggered my memory to recall that just a couple weeks ago a
tragedy unfolded in a Santa Clarita high school.
On November 14, a 16-year-old student used a handgun to
shoot several classmates in an attempted massacre, managing to kill two and
wound many others. But there’s something I have to admit is very peculiar to me
about this shooting: it’s disappeared. Unlike virtually every other school
shooting, the Santa Clarita attack:
- Is not garnering headlines
- Is not getting breathless media coverage
- The memorials for the slain haven’t been turned into political rallies
- The grieving parents haven’t been exploited to serve some ulterior partisan purpose
To be sure, I’m thankful for all of that. But I’m still left
asking why. Why is the Santa Clarita shooting being treated so differently in
I suppose you could argue it’s because there’s still a lot
of mystery around this attack, and the motive of the shooter is still unknown.
But that has never stopped the media from speculating or running with other
You could say that it’s because the death toll wasn’t
sensational enough. As morbid as that sounds, it’s possible that the
exploitative media didn’t find the situation gruesome enough to elevate above a
local crime story.
As gross as that is, there’s actually another possibility;
another darker, more despicable possibility. Consider:
- The killer used a handgun, not an AR-15 or other semi-automatic weapon that the media can spin as an “automatic” or a “weapon of war”
- The crime took place in the state of California, a place where laws have been written by the gun-averse left for decades.
- California is a gun control paradise – a model for what gun control activists want for the country
- California already has universal background checks for all gun purchases
- The killer was underage, so it was illegal for him to purchase a hand gun
- Even if he took it from his parents, California has strict gun laws on gun storage and negligence
It’s as predictable as the sun rising in the east – after
nearly every mass shooting that takes place in America, the left will cry out
for more gun control laws and suggest that anyone who objects to the idea has
blood on their hands. And the right will respond by asking a singular question:
name a single gun control law that could have prevented what happened.
And there never seems to be an answer given.
So I suppose I could be wrong, but I don’t think it’s crazy
to suggest that since it undermines the left’s gun control narrative, the
Democrat Media Complex is more than content to let Santa Clarita be known
simply for its cannibal zombies.