According to WGN, a Cook County judge ordered the previously sealed records to be unsealed.
The move comes two months after Cook County prosecutors abruptly dropped charges against the “Empire” actor.
Attorneys for Smollett, 36, previously succeeded in sealing the records, citing the actor’s privacy rights. But Judge Steven Watkins on Thursday ruled those rights were trumped when Smollett’s legal team conducted multiple interviews, the Chicago Tribune is reporting.
“These are not the actions of a person seeking to maintain his privacy or simply to be let alone,” Watkins said, according to the Tribune.
Susan Wright said this back when Smollett was essentially let go,
“Under dubious circumstances, state prosecutors dropped the charges against the actor last week, causing the Police Superintendent Eddie Johnson and Mayor Rahm Emanuel to take to the airwaves, issues scathing rebukes of the decision.”
A previous article described the court clerk’s reaction to the decision. Not only was the decision outrageous, but it came with vanishing records. The clerk’s office recalled that the records were just gone.
WGN added this,
Foxx’s office released a statement Thursday afternoon: “State’s Attorney Foxx is pleased to be able to provide the public with even greater transparency in this matter than was previously possible because of the sealing order. A review of the documents is currently underway and the State’s Attorney’s Office will release the documents related to this case through a FOIA production by June 3, 2019.”
God knows what this will produce on the third of June.