It’s time for college football’s annual set of exhibition games where all but three don’t really matter but the matchups are sometimes good and regardless it’s football so you’re probably going to watch it!
Man, we need a shorter name than that. Hey, I’ve got it! BOWL SEASON!
Yeah, yeah, lame attempt at humor. But given the way bowl season is structured, I’ve gotta do some tinkering with my formula. There’s usually not more than a few bowl games on every day, and it’s rare that two bowl games are on at the same time.
So instead, I’ll be categorizing every single bowl game based on whether you should watch it, maybe watch it, or not watch it, according to its potential for entertainment. I’ll preview every single game in the Watch and Maybe Watch categories.
Of course, the usual caveat applies that if I say not to watch a bowl game your team is involved in, you should just ignore my silly advice and watch it! Also, as usual, all game times are in God’s Time (CST).
- Las Vegas Bowl (Arizona State vs. Fresno State, 2:30p, ABC): Herm Edwards pops every last vein in his vein-popping forehead trying to scheme a way to stop Fresno State’s 37th-ranked offense and (gulp) 9th-ranked defense. Doubt he can, but ASU has surprised under The Herminator this year.
- New Mexico Bowl (North Texas vs. Utah State, 1p, ESPN): Two top-speed offensive juggernauts just zooming around is always a good time. Take it to the bank. That’s all I have to say about that.
- New Orleans Bowl (Appalachian State vs. Middle Tennessee, 8p, ESPN): Sure, this will likely be carnage in the Mountaineers’ favor. But App State’s offense is cool to watch, and Middle Tennessee’s on the tail end of a hot streak. Don’t sleep on this one.
- Cure Bowl (Tulane vs. Louisiana-Lafayette, 1:30p, CBSSN)
- Camellia Bowl (Eastern Michigan vs. Georgia Southern, 4:30p, ESPN)
- Boca Raton Bowl (Northern Illinois vs. UAB, 6p, ESPN): NIU somehow lucked their way into a MAC championship, so they get to face off against the motivated feel-good story of UAB. The Blazers have a suitably fiery offense this year. NIU has a solid defense, but can’t score. You see where this is going.
- Frisco Bowl (Ohio vs. San Diego State, 7p, ESPN)
- Gasparilla Bowl (Marshall vs. USF, 6p, ESPN):SPONSORED BY BAD BOY MOWERS AND PLAYED IN TAMPA. Which is hilarious. What makes it even funnier? Oh, just the fact that USF plays all its home games in Raymond James Stadium – the very site of this bowl. Still, they’ve faltered lately, so We Are Marshall might just knock them off.
- Bahamas Bowl (FIU vs. Toledo, 11:30a, ESPN)
- Idaho Potato Bowl (BYU vs. Western Michigan, 3p, ESPN)
And that’s it! Yes, the pickings here are a bit slim, but business should pick up next week. See you then!