The facts are chilling. Stephen Paddock, a 64-year-old man, firing from a high-story window at the Mandalay Bay Hotel killed more than 50 and wounded at least 100 who were attending an outdoor country music festival.
This is now the deadliest shooting on U.S. soil to date.
There are many terrible facts that go along with this. Given we only have a name, and the fact that the killer was “known to local police,” we can assume that this was not an act of international terrorism. It was, however, an act of terror.
Before everyone starts to politicize this, let’s remember one overriding fact: people are grieving and shocked.
Second, if you bring up gun control here, you are a political hack. The gun didn’t commit this savagery, people did. He could have killed these people in many ways, and there have been similar slaughters in places where guns aren’t as common as the U.S. So before you make this some anti-gun rallying call, stop and think about what happened.
- The shooting started at about 10 p.m., with the first reports to police at 10:08 p.m.
- The rapid gunfire was heavy enough to be described as “automatic” – but we don’t know if it was a fully automatic or semi-automatic weapon at this point.
- SWAT teams were pinned down by gunfire.
- At least two of the dead are off-duty police officers; two other officers were injured, one critically.
- One “suspect” — assumed to be the killer, or one of them, is “down” and confirmed dead.
- The killer has not been identified by police.
- Another “companion,” named Marilou Danley, described as an Asian woman, 4-foot-11 tall, is being sought by police.
- From video, the shooting appeared to have 9 seconds of rapid-fire, followed by 37 seconds of silence, then two more bursts of gunfire, shorter than the first.
- About 40,000 fans attended the concert, and most went screaming in panic after the initial gunfire.
- The airport was briefly closed to arrivals after fleeing people ran across Las Vegas Boulevard and onto airport property (even runways).
- Much of the Las Vegas Strip has been closed and the Mandalay Bay hotel has been placed on lockdown.
- CNN described the suspect as a “local resident.”
- CNBC has identified the shooter as Stephen Paddock, 64, of Mesquite, NV
- Jason Aldean, the country singer at the festival while the shooting occurred, expressed “shock and disbelief.”