This has gone on long enough. It is no longer funny. It is no longer a joke. The direction things are heading, Donald Trump is all but certain to be the Republican nominee for President. That is, as long as you and Ted Cruz remain in the race as competitors. So I am calling for a united ticket beginning Wednesday morning – the Cruz-Rubio ticket, yes with you Senator Rubio as the Vice Presidential choice. You might balk at that, but please read on before deleting.
For transparency sake, let me say my choice for President is Ted Cruz. I am from Florida. I met you Senator Rubio while you were campaigning in 2010 and in the words of Donald Trump was a YUGE fan. I have your National Review cover signed and framed above my desk. I told you (as I am sure many others did) that you will be running for President next. I also told my father that if you cannot trust Marco Rubio, who can you trust in DC? And let me also say that I, like many others have felt betrayed by you. Having said all that, let me tell you why joining Ted Cruz is in your best interest, contrary to what your financial backers may tell you.
Let’s start with the reality of the situation. Trump is far ahead of both you and Cruz is in this race with no signs of stopping. It seems pretty clear that the only way to defeat him is for either you or Cruz to bow out, but neither of you will because you are playing some high stakes chicken. But the reality is that Cruz is going to come out Wednesday morning having won his home state and with considerable more delegates than you. Is it fair that Texas is two weeks before Florida? Maybe not, but it does not really matter at this point.
So here is my list of reasons why you should call Ted Wednesday morning:
- Cruz won his home state, plus 2 others, you probably will not wins yours, but you finally got a victory in Minnesota. Even if you did win Florida, it is going to be too late in the game to stop Trump, your momentum will not begin until March 16.
- Even if you can overcome Cruz eventually, Cruz is in the more commanding position right now to have you join him. It would be illogical to reverse the situation.
- You think you can win at a brokered convention? Let’s pretend we got to a brokered convention and you did win. Congratulations, the Establishment got their man. You are the nominee winning how many states and delegates compared to Trump? So what is Trump’s next move once you steal the nomination from him… he RUNS AS AN INDEPENDENT! Furthermore, you have angered people who do not want Trump, but very much resent the Establishment handing you the nomination. I do not believe you will become President if the Establishment appoints you.
- If Ted Cruz wins the nomination with you on the ticket, but loses to Clinton, the entire Establishment and media will say “see we told you so, just like Goldwater” and you are the heir apparent after whomever screws up America some more. The base and establishment will rally to you in 2020 faster than Hillary can delete classified emails.
- If you win the nomination and then the general election, you are Vice President. It may not be President, but again, you are Vice President with political life left. Is it worth a bucket of warm piss? Well that is another issue.
- You do not have a seat to go back to in the Senate. If you lose this race, what are you going to do, challenge Adam Putnam for Governor and then run for President immediately afterwards?
- And lastly, please do not take this the wrong way, but your financial success is directly correlated to your political success. You have the opportunity to be Vice President now and then run for President afterwards. Again, if the party rallies around you at the convention, after being so far behind, I do not believe you will be President – not in 2016, not ever. The Establishment determining our future is almost as offensive as Donald Trump and you will be branded something worse than Jeb.